Saturday, January 06, 2007

Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you...Chapter One!!!

WOOHOO!!!

Only 1400 words tonight, but what a 1400...I finished chapter 1!!!

Background: I've been writing in chunks, and mainly in the latter parts of the book. I started chapter 1 way back when we did the openings workshop, and got about halfway through when I stalled. I knew what was going to happen, but couldn't get it down.

The stuff I've been working on for this marathon grew out of the December SOC exercise, and involves the pivotal event of the very end of chapter one and the first bit of chapter 2. I started out working on that tonight, then opened up chapter 1 to check up on something for continuity's sake.

Well, I ended up working through what I already had of chapter 1, tweaking and toning...and then I just kept going, all the way to the end. Now I have a complete and whole first chapter, and the first half of chapter 2, and bits and pieces - as well as an outline - for chapters 3-5.

It is very concievable that by the end of the month I'll have chapters 1-5 complete, and that just seems like a really big deal to me. I'll finally have something substantial, sequential, and sensical to more people than just myself!

Whew, okay, I'm calming down here. Still have a long road ahead of me. It just seems like a milestone, and I'm kind of jazzed. *eg*

Finally updated my word meter; I'm up to almost 29K! I'll still probably lose some of that when I finish cleaning up all my old stuff, but for now I think I'm going to run with the momentum I have for the first 5 chapters, then when I hit the wall with that I'll do the reworking, then some necessary background research and organizing of thoughts, then...onward! (Mind, all the above will probably take several months. I am undaunted.)

2 comments:

Mrs. Mitty said...

Hey, great work, Jenny! That is a lot of headway you've made. Congratulations, and keep going! {s}

Anonymous said...

Congrats. :o)