Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Ciamar a tha sibh?

Tha mi gu math.

I've not written anything since my two-scene "frenzy" last week, but I have been slowly accumulating ideas and reasearch. I can be seen popping into the library branch on my way home from work 2-3 times a week now, and my kitchen table is full of books on Scotland - history books, tour guides, etc.

My main thrust this week will be researching the historical figure that is going to be my Bad Guy, and by extension, the castle where he will be based and parts of the book set. Also tightening up my timeframe as to when (i.e. the year) in the past the story will occur.

The other thrust of my research will be Gaelic/Gaidlig. I've ordered a teach-yourself language course and English/Scots Gaelic dictionary that should come in by the end of the week. Now my husband and brother (both language nerds) can laugh at me as I try to remember all those grammar terms like "genitive case" and "subjunctive mood" since Gaelic is an inflected language.

(The title of this entry, in case you were wondering, is "How are you?" in Gaelic. I used the plural form (which is also the formal singular), since technically more than one person reads this blog. However, probably only one is reading it at a time, so I could have used "Ciamar a tha thu?" which is the singular, informal. The first line means "I am fine." There. That's your Gaelic lesson for the day.)

Edited to say: I actually did write today. Another darn scene snuck up on me and I got 860 words down before I made myself stop and go back to work. I also need to research my kempo techniques.

No comments: