Monday, September 11, 2006

The progress continues

I just finished adding about 950 words to a previously written scene. This is the part in the middle of the book where I started writing, and have since added to the beginning and end. I'm kind of a chunk-linear hybrid, really. I write chunks as they come to me, and then I go back and reread those chunks and proceed linearly from there until I hit a stopping point. Then I either write another chunk, or work linearly from another one previously written. Today I was doing the latter.

Anyway, I probably could have kept going with the scene, but I'm suddenly feeling very tired. It will be midnight before I get in bed. Again. But this writing is a dream I've had for a long time, and I have to sacrifice to do it. So be it. Years from now, I'll be able to say "I wrote a book." I doubt that I'd be saying "I wish I'd gotten a few hours more sleep" otherwise.

In other news, I finished reading Jen's MS "Narc" this afternoon at work. Good story, if not my usual genre. It needs some clarification and polish, but as a first draft it's as good or better than a lot of published books I've read. Being a beta reader is fun. Tomorrow I'll try to get some crits back to her.

For now, to bed. Oidhche mhath.

Gaidhlig Phrase of the Day:
Dè tha doi? "What's doing?"

1 comment:

Zinnia said...

I tend to write one chapter after another, but if I get stuck on something, I will go to the next scene that I know comes after it then go back later when I have the problem area resolved in my head.

I like the actual writing process. Revisions drive me nuts, which is what I'm doing now.