Monday, February 05, 2007

Conflicts of Interest

I have determined that in the evenings after the baby goes to bed, I can choose one of the following: write, watch TV, do maintenance-type stuff on my new aquarium, or spend time with my husband. There are certain shows we're kind of hung up on (namely Heroes...I'm not ashamed to admit it *g*) so Monday nights and Tuesday nights usually go to that. My aquarium is having issues and so I have to spend time on it fairly frequently. DH, well, he doesn't like to be neglected *w* so I do have to take a day or so for him every now and then. Unfortunately, that bumps writing to the bottom of the list most nights.

Another problem I've recently run into is that at work or in the car I'll start to feel inspired but when I get home I switch into "Mommy mode" and I'm so caught up in my son that the writing urge slips away, and I can't quite get it back once he's in bed and I do have the free time. He takes precedence of course--I wouldn't have it any other way--but I could wish my inspiration chose a more opportune time to manifest. There's one scene in particular that I've known about for some time, but for the past few days has been trying to make its way out. It's...of a certain nature, and the maternal instinct kind of quashes the mood to write it. My windows for these types of scenes are a few days at best, so I may have to move it back to the back burner and let it simmer for another month or so.

Anyway, it's late and I do have to work tomorrow. Tonight was a TV night. Tomorrow, too. Wednesday, I promise myself to get a solid evening's work in.

1 comment:

Shaylin said...

If it makes you feel better, my muse seems to have flown south for the winter.