Saturday, February 17, 2007

Status 2/16/07...oh, wait it's 2/17/07 now.

I sat down with no real motivation to write or creative reserves to do so. It's been a long week. But I resigned myself to a few hours of research at least. This was about 9 pm. Sometime about 10:30, my brother IM'd me asking to be picked up from his apartment, so I dragged myself into the cold and got him.

Along about 11 I decided to try my hand at a rough draft of a synopsis for my story, a la the synopsis crapometer Miss Snark ran over a year ago. 1000 words, basic plot, shouldn't be a problem.

Well, I do have a tendency to be a bit verbose. Somewhere on the second half of the first page, when I hadn't even finished summarizing the first chapter (I have to set the scene!) I gave up trying to write a "submission-style" synopsis of under 1000 words and decided to write a longer one for myself. Somewhere between an actual synopsis and what Jo would call "Story Notes."

It's after 3 in the morning now, and I am going to be regretting this when Baby Boy wakes up in about 4 hours. Or not. Y'see...I've gotten over 1600 words written. That's the most I've written in one sitting in, well, in a very long time. Oh, it doesn't count toward my word totals, but I think this is a vital step. It's really laying the whole thing out in order for me, and forcing me to fill in the gaps that I've been avoiding because I wasn't sure what to put there. I want to write this ubersynopsis linearly so that I have to make those decisions. That doesn't set them in stone, but it does give me something to work from.

The 1600 words so far cover the first 1/3 or so of my novel, lengthwise, and get me through Act I and into the beginning of Act II pacing-wise (following the Crusie-Mayer 4-act system). So I still have a ways to go and quite a bit of exciting stuff to lay out for the rest of the book. Hopefully tomorrow. Or...later today. Whatever, I'm going to bed.

Oidche mhath.

No comments: